If you’re in a hurry and just looking for the best crossbow for the money, then the Centerpoint 370 Crossbow is the best one.
Whether you’re a beginner archer or been bowhunting for an extended period of time, getting the best bang for your money should always be on your mind when shopping for a new crossbow.
The truth is there are lots of crossbows on the market with price tags running from two to four figures.
But what if you’re a beginner who’s just trying to get your feet wet or simply have a tight budget that makes it impossible to splurge on a crossbow priced at the higher end of the market?
In this article, we’re going to review the following best-rated crossbows for each price point:
- CenterPoint Sniper 370 Crossbow (Best Low Budget Model)
- PSE Archery Jolt Hunting Crossbow
- Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
- TenPoint WickedRidge Invader X4
- TenPoint Wicked Ridge Invader G3
- TenPoint Titan SS Crossbow
- Excalibur Null Matrix SMF Grizzly Crossbow
- SA Sports Empire Beowulf Crossbow
- TenPoint Turbo GT Crossbow (Best Mid-Priced Model)
- Ravin R20 Crossbow
Best Crossbow for the Money Under $400
As stated above, crossbows are available at varying price points. Often your budget will determine the type of model you can purchase.
If you have $400 or less to spend, here are the top models in terms of speed, accuracy, and durability on the market at the moment.
You don’t always find a crossbow that accommodates every shooting style and enhances accuracy on a budget but the Centerpoint Sniper 370 is an amazing exception.
Thanks to its adjustable grip and fore, many beginners report feeling at home during shooting with the Sniper 370 right from Day One.
With a draw weight of 175 lbs and firing velocity of 375 feet per second, this model is no slouch. This is probably the reason why most industry players rate it as the best crossbow for hunters on a low budget.
The Centerpoint Sniper 370 also comes packed with decent optics to enhance accuracy during hunting.
It’s not the heaviest crossbow out there but why would anyone who’s just developed a passion for crossbow hunting want to practice with a model that carries more weight than he or she can handle anyway?
- Designed and priced for beginner archers
- A multi-level system that offers safety and protection even for complete rookie crossbow hunters
- Adjustable fore and grip
- 5-year warranty
- Intermediate and experienced hunters find the Sniper 370 a bit flimsy to handle
- Feels a bit front-heavy when compared to more expensive models
The PSE Archery Jolt Hunting Crossbow is worth a serious look if you’re searching for an inexpensive crossbow that hits the target even from a considerable distance.
I’ve been able to hit bullseyes dead-on from as far as 50 yards with little effort so you can only imagine how much flexibility with regards to positioning this model offers especially when hunting larger game such as deer.
The integrated two string stops make it quieter, unlike many noisy models within the same price point which inevitably end up alerting your target to run before the shot arrow hits its body.
The bow ships with a decent scope and arrows suitable for the needs of beginner and hobby hunters. Unless you live to hunt, you’ll do just fine without having to upgrade these accessories.
The fact that it comes in a robust design with no mechanical or quality issues is another plus. Also, It is easy to put together even for a first-timer once you read and apply the assembly instructions included in the shipped package.
- Ships with dual string stops which eliminates noise
- Impressive accuracy even at this price point
- Easy to sight in
- Red Dot Scope included
- Serious hunters are forced to replace the scope for better accuracy
- Instruction manual could use some more details and pictures
The Whitetail Hunter II is another classic from Barnett. With the manufacturer’s reputation as one of the best crossbowmakers out there, it is no wonder that every single component of this crossbow is made from top quality steel.
It comes with a 150 lb draw weight and 122 ft-lbs of kinetic energy. This crossbow is also designed to allow the integration of a crank cocking device which saves your back and hands from the strains of manually cocking your crossbow.
Manufactured right here in the United States, the Whitetail Hunter II ships with the majority of its components already assembled. Additionally, the package arrives with a detailed instruction manual so even complete beginners should have no trouble setting it up for a first hunting trip in just 5 minutes.
With a nock sensor and built-in Anti-Dry fire trigger system, the Barnett Whitetail Hunter II is designed to eliminate accidental dry fires. This keeps the crossbow in shape and extends its lifetime.
- Crossbow shoots accurately with impressive quality, especially at its price point.
- Cocking assist makes pulling the 150-pound limbs easy for even kids or smaller shooters
- Fairly easy to use on a treestand due to its narrow across-the-limbs design
- Once cocked, the bow cannot be uncocked
- The attached scope could be better especially during hunting in the night
The Tenpoint Wicked Ridge Invader G3 is the best overall crossbow for the money today in our opinion. From world-class user experience to hunter safety and comfort, this model ticks all the right boxes.
There’s no doubt that the Wicked Ridge Invader is one of the most stunning crossbows on the market. However, its distinct skeletal framework delivers much more than just aesthetic value by minimizing the overall weight of the crossbow.
This is why the G3 is so lightweight.
Additionally, the skeletal framework gives shooters a firm grip on the stock and delivers convenient access to the safety switch at all times.
If you don’t want to shell out thousands of dollars on a more expensive crossbow yet looking for optimum user experience, the Wicked Ridge Invader G3 could be a solid option.
- Exceptionally lightweight and easy to carry
- The package ships with everything you need to go bowhunting right away
- The complimentary 1 Year warranty could definitely be longer
- The provided scope isn’t illuminated making it impossible to hunt in the night unless you invest in another scope.
Tenpoint has nailed it again with the Titan SS Crossbow, another world-class model designed for bow hunters with a mid-level budget.
The good news is that it comes with all the bells and whistles typically found in premium models while costing a fraction of their price tags.
Equipped with the manufacturer’s Fusion S Stock, adjustable comb height, and a 2-position butt plate, each hunter gets complete control over his preferred length of pull.
It offers lethal speeds of up to 340 feet per second while the myriad of convenient and accuracy-enhancing features prove that it can be a great purchase for anyone whether you’re a beginner or advanced bow hunter.
After a few adjustments, I began hitting targets deep at 60 yards away. Even complete newbies have reported similar results so this performance has a lot more to do with the quality of the Tenpoint Titan SS crossbow than the hunter’s skill level.
- Enhanced shooting accuracy gives you the upper hand during hunting regardless of shooting skill level
- Pretty accurate right out of the box especially at 20 yards
- ACUdraw makes cocking the bow stress-free
- Skinny package means it doesn’t ship with arrows or a cocking device
- Getting the string to latch to the safety switch when cocking with a cocking rope can be a bit difficult for some novices.
The Excalibur Crossbow Null Matrix SMF Grizzly is one of the lightest weight recurve crossbows you can buy. At 5.5 lbs, carrying it over considerable distances shouldn’t be much of a problem even for teen hunters and seniors.
With a draw weight of 200 pounds, I found it surprisingly easy to cock. However, it doesn’t take a genius to notice that Excalibur intentionally designed it with a fairly short power stroke and limited overall length to achieve this impressive feat.
While the Max Grizzly isn’t the quietest crossbow available on our list, it is fairly decent especially when you consider its generous price tag.
The package arrives with a Deadzone scope which is designed to give you the advantage in almost every shooting circumstance.
Therefore, you should have little problems hitting your targets even during night hunting.
- Comes with all the tools needed as well as instruction manual and DVD for easy setup
- Easy to upgrade several parts later
- Easy to draw back
- Noise level is quite decent
- At 304 feet per second, it is definitely not one of the fastest crossbows within its price range
- Serious hunters may need to invest in a more sophisticated scope
The SA Sports Empire Beowulf has revolutionized the compound crossbow industry by introducing a mix of design features and innovations bowhunters could only dream of a few years ago.
With shooting speeds of 360 feet per second, most prey will not stand a chance against you in the wild. The presence of a super compact riser assembly, as well as a lightweight synthetic stock and barrel, are additional components that make this model so popular among bow hunters.
While noise has traditionally been associated with compound crossbows in general, I found the level of quietness associated with shooting the Empire Beowulf astonishing.
This is thanks to the quality of parts as well as its narrow footprint which gives hunters complete control even when they find themselves in tight spaces.
It offers genuine comfort to users through an adjustable grip and other features specifically designed to promote user friendliness.
Desperate to kill your fair share of wild game without paying an arm and a leg? The Beowulf could be a dream crossbow for you.
- Extremely powerful crossbow for its price
- Ultra quiet and fast shooting
- Assembly is easy thanks to the detailed instruction manual and online video
- The scopes could definitely be better especially in low light situations
- Cocking can be difficult for those under 5 feet 9 inches tall
Best High-End Crossbow for the Money
If money is no object and you’re in the market for a premium crossbow, here are the top models available for sale at this moment.
The TenPoint Turbo GT Crossbow gives you the best bang for your buck if you’re in the mood to splurge out a little but not too much.
When you look at the quality of the build and the range of features integrated into it, TenPoint could have easily doubled the retail price and I believe it would have still been worth your while. This is why it is our top-rated model overall.
The Turbo GT shoots faster than most compound bows available on the market right now so even if target Deer is alerted to the slight cranking noise, it will probably be hit and wounded before it has time to react.
This crossbow ships with an already mounted scope, bow, stock, and quiver as well as a foot stirrup, quiver mount, and 3 arrows with field tips. The trigger is a thing of beauty and weighs fairly light compared to most firearms.
The ACUdraw cranking device system is awesome, to say the least. The fact that it requires barely any effort to release means that even kids can shoot targets without any problems. No need to be able to deadlift 200 lbs to shoot the TenPoint Turbo GT Crossbow.
- Superb accuracy to kill anything from as far as 50 yards
- Quick shooting speed of 360 feet per second
- One of the best crossbows for kids and seniors due to the minimal effort required to shoot
- Not the quietest crossbow out there
The WickedRidge Invader X4 doesn’t appear on our list of the best-value crossbows by accident. If you’re on the hunt for a crossbow that comes packed with some of the best features for top-notch user experience, this model is a good one to start with.
Weighing only 6.3 pounds, it is one of the most lightweight crossbows money can buy right now. With a blazing shooting speed of 360 feet per second and narrow width of just 15 inches, achieving pinpoint accuracy can be a breeze even if you are not the most experienced bowhunter in the world.
Assembly instructions in the user manual are a good read and you can also find the same information on the manufacturer’s website. Once setup and cocked, I was amazed at the sheer speed and power packed into the WickedRidge Invader X4 and apparently, several current owners have reported similar experiences.
Sure, the Invader X4 may cost a bit more than lower-priced models such as the CenterPoint Sniper 370, but it is well worth the extra money in my opinion.
- Super fast shooting speed
- Narrow 15-inch width helps deliver pinpoint accuracy
- Ships with 3 aluminum arrows with practice points
- An extra rail lube and some string wax would have been a nice addition
- Only compatible with Omni-Nock crossbow arrow nocks
The Ravin R20 Crossbow takes power and performance to whole new levels. Engineered in a stunning skeletonized design, even the most experienced crossbow hunters confess to getting their heads turned the minute they lay eyes on this beast.
The Ravin R20 delivers deadly speed and power in a 430-feet-per-second and 164-lb kinetic energy combo that can bring unbelievable levels of success to your hunting game.
Whether you have a preference for small game such as Whitetail Deer or larger ones like a Bison or the African Elephant, this crossbow comes out tops as long as you get the right broadhead and take a clean shot.
The Ravin R20 Crossbow features an integrated cocking mechanism for quick loading and auto-safety for prevention of dry fires. The built-in sling mounts are an additional feature which enables hands-free carry.
Sure, the Ravin R20 is quite on the higher side price wise and you could easily settle for much cheaper options. However, the saying that “you get what you pay for” couldn’t be truer with this crossbow.
- Mind-blowing shooting speed of 430 feet per second
- Industry-leading dynamic power from 13” power stroke and 164 feet-lb kinetic energy world-class safety switch design prevents dry fires and other forms of accidents
- Ravin Bolts are not cheap
- Bow needs lighted nocks for night hunting
The CenterPoint Sniper 370 is the best crossbow for the money right now for anyone with a decent budget. It packs everything you need to become successful whether hunting game of any size or engaged in competitive shooting.
At less than $400 at the moment on Amazon, this stunning piece is also light on the wallet and can be a great way to enjoy your love of crossbow shooting with putting a serious dent in your wallet.
however, if you’re looking for the best mid-priced crossbow for the money then the TenPoint Turbo GT is our favorite.